New Years Resolution: Lets Get Healthy!

    It’s New Years Day and I woke up thinking, “Today is the first day on my journey to a new bikini clad hot body.” I don’t ever want to wear last year’s bathing moo moos again with tags on the inside promising a visual MIRACLE if I squeezed enough. No, I envision myself next summer standing at my town pool next to my super skinny friends in my VERY inappropriate string, rhinestone bikini, with the tag inside reading,  “Sexy & Sizzling like bacon” or “I look hot, but I”m hungry as hell couture.” Then my husband yelled upstairs, “Breakfast, Cinnamon buns!” Hmm and I do love me some sweet buns. So I ran downstairs, poured a cup of coffee and thought for a second “I should get my Nutribullet out and have a whey protein shake.” Then I looked at the sweetly iced cinnamon buns who whispered to me, “No one starts a diet on a Holiday? It’s New Years Day! Come on just one bun, Carey! Just have one.” Two cinnamon buns later and I found myself licking the frosting off my plate, thank God for boundaries. 

     A new Year jump starts a future of exciting opportunities and a time to shed that old skin and create a fresh start. According to Tara Parker-Rope who writes “5 Things to know about New Year’s Eve” in her blog for the New York Times, “About 45% of Americans will make a New Year’s Resolution this year. The good news is that more than 70 percent will stick to their resolution for the first two weeks of 2015.  According to the website, StatisticBrain.com.”

    Only 70% will stick to their resolution in the first two weeks? That’s it? I’m determined to be the other 30% of that statistic, to push past the two week mark and continue with my resolution! My first instinct today to accomplish my goal was forget about it and crawl right back under my warm covers with my two little babes and watch Holiday movies all day and then wake up in the afternoon to make homemade pizza for my family. I am the Scarlet O”Hara of dieting I always say, “I’ll think about that another day.” But this year, well this year will be different because I’m inspired by something my mother said.

    My mother smoked for over thirty years.  It was a huge struggle for her when she finally decided to quit. She said she felt like she was losing her best friend. She never had another cigarette after she realized this profound statement, “You don’t quit smoking AFTER your last cigarette. You QUIT BEFORE your next one.”

    So you don’t start your diet after you eat those two cinnamon buns, you start BEFORE you DON’T eat them. Every time you eat it must be with purpose. This is where I struggle most, being consistent and on a schedule.

    This winter I’ve been wearing my “brown” coat. I hate my brown coat. It’s what I call my “safety” coat. It’s the coat that is usually shunned to the back of my closet but inevitably some makes it way out at some point in the winter. See, my brown coat lacks form and fashion and is my “FAT” coat. It means I’m bloated and or ten pounds over weight.  However if you see me in my blue coat that means, I’m looking and feeling good. So my goal is to be in my blue down filled parka by summer. So if you see me surfing at the beach this summer in my blue parka you know I kept to my New Years Resolution and I’m looking good!

    Check in and see my progress while I enlist my good friend, yoga and wellness expert Kanan Kapila on my weight loss journey. Lets see if she can help me transform me and YOU into a rhinestone cowgirl beach babe!

It’s New Year’s resolution time, what is your New Year’s Goal?

About Carey Reilly 176 Articles
Carey Reilly is TV Host, Travel and Lifestyle Writer, Comedian and Mom to two children. Carey is a regular contributor to NBC's Today Show, Foxnews.com, HLN, CNN, VH-1, Cooking Channel and Food Network. Carey's lifestyle brand NotSoSkinnyMom.com keeps people posted on the latest food, cocktails travel and entertainment news.

1 Comment

  1. Hello my family member! I wish to say that this post is amazing, great written and come with almost all important infos. I¦d like to look more posts like this .

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*